Saturday, April 24, 2010

BACK ON THE RAILS

If you made a quick scan of this blog, you'd think boat life consists mostly of sanding and varnishing toe rails. Sometimes it feels like that too.

Today, I was back at it yet again.

Last week we flew through the sanding and got two coats of protectant on before we had to return to the Outer Banks. After it rained yesterday, I could see water seeping into the cracks, a sure sign of needing more coats.

Tape, wipe, coat, and look at that beading! I got two additional coats on the port side and one on the starboard side before the temp started dropping.

My friend, the automaton on the weather radio, is droning on about a big storm headed this way. Rain, wind, thunder, lightning. Sometimes I wish he'd get jazzed up a bit when the forecast calls for it. He announces "winds 5 to 10 knots, waves 1 foot" with the same monotone as "Category 5 hurricane, wind 125 knots, waves 80 feet." Come on, man, emote!

I added a stern line, restrung the spring line for easier access and added another breastline -- just in case. It's just me and Good Company, ready to rumble.

No comments: